Monday, January 23, 2012

There's Light...And It's Clean Too!

     Today, I got down at Dombivli station from a really crowded Ambernath train (to those who care to understand) and crossed the foot-over-bridge and headed home. As soon as I reached platform no.1, I realised that what I thought were banners, were in fact banners.
     It took me not by surprise, but just by mere curiosity. And I headed towards the table they had set before the banner, and I soon realised that it was a cleanliness-awareness drive organised by a certain 'Inner Wheel Club of Dombivli West', and that they were urging common people at the station not to spit and not to litter, and how people on their part can prevent diseases from spreading by following some simple rules as those. To me, it seemed pretty trickling-down, surprisingly    as in, I hadn't really seen an awareness campaign speaking to the common masses; it was usually college-educated students (who were indifferent) or schoolkids' parents (who thought they knew just a little more than the 'preachers')    these people spoke to anybody, just anybody who came around. The women told me that I mustn't litter or spit, and that I must try to tell others not to, as well. I, in turn told them that I already did so. They smiled at me, understandingly. 
     I took a pen they offered, and signed on the pledge-chart. I was, after all, happy to see change, some change, that had come up in my rather mundane world.

4 comments:

  1. :) Dude, you and Little SO remind me of my teenage! Your thoughts are still innocent and straightforward.

    Anyway, hope this drive continues. I have observed that people don't spit and litter as much in Bombay as they once used to (though they still do it a lot). Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I hope it does too. And good for us if the trend is declining. :)
      Thank you! :D

      Delete
  2. Excellent blog& presentation. Keep writing more and more. I voted for your blog and suggested your blog to my friends also.
    Mercury Ford Aerostar AC Compressor

    ReplyDelete