Sunday, January 29, 2012

I'm Happy, I'm Gay; That's Okay, That's Okay!

     "Happy Pride," somebody said to me handing me over a gay nightclub invite/(card?), as I was walking along Lamington Road with a legion of about five hundred people. That is useless to me (I am not 18 yet, so, like, nightclubs aren't my place to be    and as if I were jumping at the occasion of visiting one).


For variety is the spice of life--
I shall bear all its colours.
      This was my first Pride March, and I did not know that you wished each other Happy Pride. Amazing. I mean, the March was amazing; Harish Iyer was in his regular energetic form; Lakshmi Tripathi in hers. It was a bunch, quite a huge bunch of gays, lesbians, transgenders, bisexuals, and straight people (and other sexual minorities    there could have been asexuals in the crowd (and I consider myself to be more of a homoromantic than a homosexual, but never mind the details)). And we were all celebrating being us. We were all asking for a more tolerant, a more accepting attitude. We deserve it, and we ask for it.
     Perhaps the truest words in the time around when the rally took place would be Harish Iyer's    we were rejoicing, surely we were; but what was not to be forgotten was that the fight wasn't done and over. Homophobia wasn't lost to time and effort. It would take a lot of struggle, and we must all strive for that goal in mind.
That's the one thing I truly know about Harry Potter. :D
     I recognised some people I saw in my compartment in the train I took to Dadar (I did not know any of them personally) as transgenders. I was filled with a sense of united effort, of the fact that I wasn't alone. One of them was applying make-up to her face. And some people were staring    I don't know if to call it right or wrong, but they were staring, yes. And almost as if I had seen it coming, a guy kept throwing a disgusted look at the transgender folks. I found it insulting. I did not speak up, since there had been no exchange of words. When I asked the transgenders if they were heading to the venue I was going to, they replied in the affirmative, and asked if I'd like to go with them, but I told them I was waiting for my friends who had got into the Second-Class compartment (this was the First-Class compartment)    which was true. I saw them at the March too, but I don't think they recognised me.
Need I say more? I wanna... :D
     The March, as I said already, was amazing. A cute guy (and I mean it :)) somehow seemed to capture my attention (he didn't have to try hard, even ;)). Getting a butterfly tattoo on my hand (to quote Aditya, 'the screwed-up butterfly :P), a photo session (with my cell-phone, then Amey's camera, and then Aditya's friend's camera) after that, at Girgaon Chowpatty, and then a nice long journey back home with Pranav Joshi (my friend and soul-sister's   Sharvari's   brother) made my day. :)

     What is the word that brings power to all?What becomes the harbinger of courage to stand up to the world and dare to be what you want to be? Sure, Pride may have its pitfalls, but Pride takes you there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment